I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lets Go Ride A Bike!

The picture to the left is of my sister and I circa sometime in the early 80's riding my grandmother's bike in Florida. It was one of our favorite things to do when we went to visit my grandparents. I felt that all of sudden I was given a key to pure  freedom... well the freedom to go as far as my bike and my legs could take me :) This fabulous bike also came with a "passenger seat" which I could tote my little sister along for the ride. It was a mini adventure for us every time we took it out for a spin.

To get to this point on this picture it took an act of bravery on my part, patience on my Dad's part, as well as many bumps, bruises and bleeding elbows along the way.) I was a pro at riding my big wheels and then my bike with training wheels, but once the training wheels were taken off I didn't seem to excel like I did in the past. I was scared of the brakes..the sudden stop...the end of the ride ;) Instead of using brakes I used sidewalk edges. I would bike into the sidewalk edge, and then put my leg down and hope for the best. Once in awhile the trick led to a nasty spill, but still for some reason I was scared of those brakes. It took my father many hours of extreme patience, and I think a bribe to go see the movie "The Fox and The Hound" to actually get me to use the brakes which in turn led me to love riding bikes.

If you want to buy a bike look no further than Salem Cycle. That is where I actually purchased my first bike on my own. The owner for over the past ten years is Dan Shuman a business owner, a bicyclist, and a overall great guy. Dan and I went to school together, so I have known him for a loooooong time ;). He is trust worthy, good natured, and always helpful, and he knows a lot about bikes!

So here is my interview with  my friend and the owner of Salem Cycles Dan Shuman, so hop on and come along for this ride ........


S: What is your first memory of riding a bike?
D: Well the first memory of me pedaling was in my parents driveway, I was trying to ride my sisters old Schwinn, and it was probably not the right size, because the handlebars turned in, and I scraped my chest on the bars and crashed. I remember before that riding on the back of my dad's bike and he got a blow out, because he over inflated the tires at the Mobil Gas Station that use to be on Humphrey St.

S:Where is the coolest place you have biked?
D: The coolest place I have biked is probably Crater Lake in Oregon. I have biked up and down it twice on different trips. It is an old volcano that the top has blown off and it now has a lake inside it. I believe it is inactive.

S:What are your top three tips to share with buyers when looking to purchase a bike?
D:
1) Get sized for the bike and listen to what the sales person tells you about fit.
2) Test ride a few bikes. We allow you 30-days to take the bike home and try it out in the comfort of your neighborhood
3) Ask questions and do your research, but don't think that the better known brand is always better. For example, many people have not heard of KHS, so they are hesitant to buy them, but almost my entire staff rides them, including myself.

S:What is the newest/latest thing in bikes? Future of bikes/biking?

D: Well the bike has changed a lot over my 23 years in the business, but for the most part a bicycle is 2 wheels with a triangular frame and you pedal. Disc brakes, suspension, carbon fiber, and now pedal-assist motors are all gaining momentum. We try to keep up with the latest and greatest. We have been selling electric bikes for about 5 years and we have several carbon bikes, and most of the mountain bikes have suspension and disc brakes. We also have folding bikes and bikes with belt drive instead of a chain. I even own a kit so you can ride your bicycle over the water!

S:How is it being a business owner in Salem? What makes it special to own a business in this city?
D:Being a business owner is Salem has a lot of pros and cons, but I love this city and have made it my home. Before I bought Salem Cycle in January 2000, I toured the country looking at locations. Salem is growing more and more every year. I am on the Bike Path Committee and we are creating new bike lanes and installing bike racks all over the city. More and more people are riding their bikes to work, school, and around town. I like to think Salem Cycle played a big part in that. On the downside there are a lot of rules and regulations, taxes, and fees for everything. The city and I have worked well together, and I only see that getting better.

S:What makes your bike shop stand out from other bike shops?
D:I would say we have excellent customer service, a great selection, and the staff to back it up. We have won the Readers Choice Award from North Shore magazine for 2009 and 2010 for Best Bike Shop on the North Shore. We also offer free Body Scanning Custom Fit, Road Side Assistance, 30-Day Risk Free Purchase on all new bikes, Financing, and we service all makes of bikes. As I said before we also have experience with electric bikes, folding, bikes, suspension, hydraulic brakes, and internal hubs.

S: Do you have a dream bike? If so, what is it?
D:I don't have a dream bike, but I do dream of biking through Belgium, Germany, and Prague sampling their great beers and taking in the sites.

S:Where are the best places to go for a bike ride in the North Shore?

D:Best places to go for a ride on the North Shore - Mountain Biking: I would say Lynn Woods, Greenwood, and Dogtown are some of the nicer places I have been. Road Biking: I would recommend Routes 127, 133, 22, and 1A.

S: I am such an accessory woman..I love accessories!! What cool bike accessories do you sell?

D:We sell just about every accessory. Bells, horns, computers, bags, baskets, pet baskets, hydration packs, shopping baskets, picnic baskets, lights, fenders, locks, child seats and trailers, IPOD holders, GPS, mirrors, and so much more.

S:What good biking tips can you share?
D:Tips to Share:
1.Always wear a helmet
2.Check your tire pressure before each ride
3.Clean and lube your chain at least once a month
4. Tune your bike once a year or more
5.If you are not comfortable on your bike get fitted
6.Use lights at night so you are seen
7. HAVE FUN!!!!


Salem Cycle
72 Washington Street
Salem, MA 01970
978-741-2222
www.salemcycle.com

Dan Shuman  sales@salemcycle.com
2009 Salem Chamber of Commerce Business Man of the Year
Salem Cycle - 2009 and 2010 Readers ChoiceAward Best of North Shore
12 Months Deferred Interest Financing
Hours M-W 10-6, Th-Fr 8-8, Sat 9-5, Sun 12-4
(The Biking Coop, NBDA, IMBA, NEMBA, LAB, Specialized, KHS, Rocky Mountain, Dahon, WeThePeople, Free Agent, Redline, and Torker)
www.witchescup.com

You can also find Salem Cycles on Facebook!
(photos provided by Dan Shuman)

3 comments:

  1. Great story. Dan it is nice to read about all of your awards and involvement in the community. I live near Minuteman & appreciate suggestions for other biking venues. Perhaps next summer I can treat myself to a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    This was a really quality interview and I am glad to see such great photo's from the shop. My son was born a little over a year ago and he has re-inspired my passion for riding. We are now out almost every night touring the town and taking in the fresh air. Never would have happened with Dan and Salem Cycle. He was a big help and even broke out the winter gear when I was freezing the other night while out with my son.

    Look forward to more interviews,
    Ian B

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nancy : Thank You :) I am glad you liked..it was a fun subject to write about...and you should totally treat yourself to a bike :)
    @Ian: thank you so much..soooooo glad you liked the interview and the blog..Dan is totally the man! Keep on having fun biking with your son..that is great way to spend time together!
    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete