I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

GREENleaf

         
I met my friend Jodi Greenleaf 13 years ago.  Till this day she is the most creative person I know. Jodi just recently graduated from New England School of Art and Design with a degree in Interior Design.

Jodi is an artist in every sense of the word. She draws. paints, and sews. She also has a passion for cooking and her food always looks likes beautiful edible art. She is a creator.  She truly has a fire in her for hands on activities and creating beautiful and useful items.  She makes Halloween costumes that are  much cooler than any you would find at any costume shop. I have seen her many times whip up curtains and pillows for many of our friends in a blink of an eye. It always impresses me to see her natural talent at work.

 Jodi always makes hanging out a fun and creative time. On many a cold winter's day we have made purses out of random fabrics, reupholstered chairs, cooked yummy dinners and desserts, we have made designer stools to put our feet up on plus many many more items (way to much to list here). Jodi also taught me how to paint with oil paints as well as sketch different objects with just some drawing pencils and a eraser. Each time we hang out not only do we always laugh a lot and have a good time, but I become a tad more creative myself.  I wanted to interview Jodi, because it's always fun to tap a creative brain plus Jodi has started her own business Greenleaf Home. I am so proud of her and I am also happy she is finally going to be able to share her talents with the public:)

So now it's time to let me "draw" you into Jodi's "colorful" world.......here is my interview with Jodi Greenleaf:



S:What was the first product you ever made?
J: I was in third grade and I made a bed for my barbie out of flannel fabric. I also crochet a skirt for my barbie.

S:What made you decide to do more "Green" designs?
J: I love the concept of giving a new life to an old item. To look at this item in a new light instead of just throwing something "old" away. I think it is such a consumer based world, sometimes we throw away things without thinking twice about it. We don't realize all the potential our products we buy have.

S:What is your favorite way to express yourself creatively?
J: Anything with my hands! Paint, draw, sew, crochet,quilt, and cook are a few ways :)

S.Why did you start Greenleaf Home?
J: I always treated my art as a hobby, but I would really like to be able to support myself doing something I love...live the American dream.






S: Can you share an easy GREENleaf project with my readers that they could do at home?
J: An easy gift wrap for a wine bottle.  You can use an old sweater, long sleeve tshirt, or a men's long sleeve dress shirt.  Place bottle next to sleeve, adjust to leave a little overlap at the top and cut 2 inches below bottle bottom.  Stitch the bottom all the way around.  Gather the threads by gently pulling and then stitch a couple times through the gathered fabric.  Tie off and slide the cozy on.  Top off by putting on a cute bow!


Step#1

Step #2








Step #3








Step #4








Step#5








Step #6








Step #7











Step #8












S: What is your favorite thing you ever created and why?
J:I loved doing watercolor paintings! I love the way colors mix on the paper and the translucent properties of the overall look. 


S: Where do you see the future of Greenleaf Home?
J: I am hoping to see Greenleaf Home products in gift shops everywhere. I would love to sell my products in the Mass General Hospital gift shop, because I love the idea of someone buying my product to cheer up someone who is sick. 

S.Any tips for people to help refine their skills with
A. Drawing: Drawing is like any skill. Practice, practice, and practice is the key to mastering any skill.
B. Painting: As for painting, paint from the heart and don't worry about making mistakes. Sometimes mistakes turn out to make the piece better. 
C. Sewing: Sewing is tricky. I would suggest reading a pattern and then following exactly what it says. It helps to understand construction.

Picture to the right is me wearing one of "Greenleaf Home" purple Neck Loop (Neck Loop made from 100% cotton using recycled material. 
Comfortable, stylish, and versatile. Super soft and cozy. It can be twisted for a solid look or half of it can be looped to create a look of two different lengths.)
You can see Jodi's products on Facebook: Greenleaf Home  

You can also contact her at : greenleafhome@hotmail.com
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/greenleafhome?ref=ls_profile

(Photo's of Jodi taken by Sarah In The City)

No comments:

Post a Comment