I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

One Person Can Make a Difference/ We Can All Make a Difference

I have known Brian Tronic for 5 1/2 years, but he is one of those guys you feel you have known your whole life. He is extremely smart, kind, and caring person. I feel very lucky to call him my friend.
I met Brian when we worked together at a learning center 5 1/2 years ago. We both have been teachers in our "past life" (Brian just graduated Law School). I was the Center Director of the learning center we worked at, and Brian was our most requested teacher (seriously some parents would only keep their kids enrolled at the center if Brian was their only tutor). Brian is brilliant! He can teach anything he wants, because he seems to have a true understanding for all things (I am not exaggerating at all,if you know him you would say the same), but Brian isn't just smart, his nature and persona makes him be able to teach the most difficult subject in the most basic way, so anyone can understand That is why he was such a requested teacher. Not only did Brian educate the kids of the North Shore area, he also did a two year teaching stint in Africa (2001-2003) when he joined the peace corps prior to me meeting him.

Africa! My dream destination, the one place in the world I feel I have to go to in my life...no matter what!  I was so fascinated by all of Brian Peace Corps stories, the adventures, the people, the experience. Brian was a math and physics teacher in the village of Kativani. He taught freshmen, sophomore, and junior classes that consisted of 40-60 children.  There were only only 4 classrooms in the school with one classroom per grade. I loved looking at the pictures, even the scary bug pic that completely freaked me out the first time I saw it (you can check that pic out on the "Sarah in the City" Facebook page under the "Blog Interviews" photo album). Come to find out after awhile that Brian started a non-profit organization for the kids in the village he taught in called the "Friends of Yumbuni'. I was so impressed to know that not only was my friend making a difference with the students he taught at our learning center, but he was changing children's lives across the world as well.

I really wanted to do this interview for two reasons  #1 His cause is truly a great one! Where a little can go a long way, and I feel more people should know about it  #2 He is someone from the North Shore who is doing fabulous things, and I wanted to share his story w/ you :)
We decide to do the interview at our favorite Restaurant "The Organic Garden" in Beverly (a raw food, vegetarian, and gluten free person dream restaurant # 978/922-0004  Organic Garden Cafe 294 Cabot St., Beverly, MA 01915)
We talked about his Foundation and his time in Africa while eating delicious food (best way to interview in my opinion). Brian as always came prepared with his photos from Africa (which he let me take a few pics of), and other info about his foundation, and I came w/ my list of questions. So here it is, my interview w/ Brian Tronic, the "Ultimate Teacher"!


S: What made you decide to join the Peace Corps?

B: I wanted to explore the world and have an adventure.....and I did!

S: Was Africa your first choice?

B: Actually I requested Nepal, but then I got a letter saying I was going to Kenya. I didn't know much about Africa, but I thought this should be fun and interesting, so I just went with it.


S: Where you scared about traveling so far away by yourself?  

B: Of course I was. I was afraid of the unknown, where will I be living, food, where would I be working, learning a new language and culture, trusting I will be able to find my way around a new place, being out of touch/communication with the people I rely on back home, and making new friends. The first few days I was very lonely in the village, and on the first night I actually got locked into my house (if you meet Brian you need to ask him about this story..it's a must hear!) My house consisted of a bed, no electricity, no bathroom (outhouse outside), no running water, and windows w/ metal bars. Once I got rescued from my house by two high school boys, figured out how to get around, and made some friends things started to get a lot better.

S: What inspired you to start this non-profit organization?

B: In my village their was a married couple who owned a restaurant that I went to daily. We would sit together and have tea, and they would teach me the local language Kikamba. They became my good friends. They had a son who worked at the restaurant who was in 8th grade. They wanted to send him to the school I taught at, but they could not afford it (no free High School, it's about $200 a year for a child to attend). After hearing this I spoke with my parents, and between myself and my parents we paid for Masila to go to High School. He was the first student I helped, and that is where it all began.  Unfortunately a year later I found out Masila parents both died, but Masila finished High School despite that happening. I actually just got an email from him yesterday saying that he now wants to go to a university, so he is the student we are now currently raising money for.

(Rough Cost to send a child from his village to a 2 year university is between $2,000-$3,000...I think I paid that in just text books for my own college education, and it actually could have been more)

S: How many children from Kativani that you have taught have gone on to college due to your program?

B: We have had one girl graduate with a business degree, and one boy graduate from a full on four year university. The boy was extremely bright, and it is very rare for someone to graduate from a 4 year university from the village I taught in.


S: What was your favorite experience during your time in Africa?

B: I really enjoyed teaching the kids. They had such a thirst for knowledge. They didn't even have text books, they really appreciated all the small things.  One day I brought a chess board to school, and played with a fellow teacher, the kids were fascinated by the game. At one point we had 80 plus kids surrounding us, and they were in awe. I went to Nairobi after that and bought 15 chessboards and started a chess club (about 1/2 the kids in the school joined) The advanced chess players started teaching the younger kids. We had tournaments at the end of every term, and the prize was their own chess board. They loved it!


S: Since you inspire me by all the great things you do to help others...what inspires you?

(long pause..;) )

B:People who follow their dreams. People who go and dare to live an exciting life, and not afraid to fail.  Many of these kids cannot get to school due to money, and they dream of an education, and I want to help people who make life work for them.
People helping others...showing true kindness...helping other people!









"Education for a Better Life."  
" Friends of Yumbuni, Inc. is a non-profit dedicated to helping
motivated high school students in Kenya attend colleges and
universities. 100% of our donations go directly to the students'
accounts at the colleges and universities in Kenya - our
administrative costs are covered by volunteers and the board of
directors."

http://friendsofyumbuni.com/

(photos from Africa provided by Brian Tronic/ photos of Brian taken by Sarah)

1 comment: