I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Friday, July 30, 2010

DELVIS..LIVE FROM OUR LIVING ROOM ! ;)

I met Delvis about 7 years ago..give or take a little. My next door neighbor at the time was playing a gig with his band Lee Harvey at the Edgewater Cafe  in Salem (which is no longer there). Being new neighbors I thought it would be fun to get to know my neighbor better as well as being entertained, so I went with some friends to the show. The opening act that night was a guy named Delvis. Delvis had his "Buddy Holly" glasses on, and a suit, and was singing a song about him getting any girl he wants. My first thoughts were
#1 Wow this guy definitely like to perform
#2 He may have a little bit of an ego
#3 but  he does have a really nice voice.
My friends and I were entertained for sure. After Delvis's set he came over to my table with my new neighbor, I told him he had a nice voice and he asked me to dance.

I saw Delvis performed out and about over the years.  I then injured my hip and was out of commission for awhile. Randomly two years later I got an email from him .. "How's it going? I haven't seen you in a while. Del"  .. ..that email led to a few more, than to coffee, and here we are a year and 8 months later in our apt chatting about him,and his music,which is what brought us together in the first place.

 I told Dennis recently that I thought Delvis was his real name for the first five years I knew him. When he gave me his phone number I put it in as Delvis. He laughed, but I know I am not the only one, because every time we go out people always come up and say "Hi Delvis".  Dennis was bestowed with the name Delvis by his friend Pete, because Dennis was born on Elvis's Birthday and he was born to rock. :)

"D" (my nickname for him...it makes it easier and  it covers all bases ;)) is one of the kindest human beings you will ever meet, and I am not saying that because I am biased, it just happens to be one of my most favorite qualities about him. He also is charming, funny, and a truly talented singer/songwriter/musician. I can say without a doubt that music fuels his soul. I have always loved music, but I have come to understand music on a whole different level once D and I started dating. Our living room is a music haven, it holds 6 guitars, a bass guitar, amps, LARGE speakers, a drum set, a speaker system for his ipod, a record player, a stereo system, and over a 1,000 records (if not more). Technically I should be a musician myself just by the "music fumes" from our living room ;)  Even though "D" is Dennis to me now, in my phone he will always be DELVIS!

So here it is the interview with my BF and the man who only really needs one name.....So let's rock!


S: What's the difference between Delvis/Dennis:

(long pause:))

D: The spelling ;)   Delvis is simply a cooler stage name than Dennis.  Delvis transformed me as an artist. I feel I became more of who I am from a creative, artistic standpoint once I was Delvis. It is hard to imagine a time when I wasn't Delvis, that is how much of an impact that it has had on my life.

S:What question would you like me to ask you, since I know most of the answers to the questions I want to ask you?

D: Do you think that Elvis is still alive?

S: Hahahaha! Ok, so do you think he is alive?

D:Yes!

S: Who do you look up to as your own personal music icons?

D:  Ted Snyder, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan,Warren Zevon, The Beatles, The Stones, The Byrds and of course Elvis


S: If there is one song you wish you could have written which one would it be?

D: Hmmmmmm...I guess this may seem obvious, but Stairway

S:Why?

D: Because it starts off so soft, but then it rocks so hard in the end , I could use this as a metaphor about me, but I will keep this PG

S: Haha



S: You are both a singer and a songwriter do you prefer one over another?

D: For me they go hand and hand....equally together.

S: What is your favorite song you written?

D: They are all my favorites, they are all my babies!


S: How do you stay calm singing in front of large groups of people, it seems so scary to me, I get butterflies in my stomach when you perform ,and I am not even up there?

D: I feel more calm as the show goes on. I try to be as prepared as possible and that lessens the nerves.


S:When you make it big as a rockstar what will your demands be? ;)

D: I would have to demand that a record player must be in my dressing room at all times, as well as planters cheeseballs, and Uppercrust Pizza.

S: I wouldn't have expected you to say anything else ;)

S: "The Road is My Home" is the CD you just released, is their a reason why you picked that title?

D: I feel I picked that title, because I thought it represented the place I was at that time. I wrote it four years ago, and the song "The Road Is My Home" still rings true in my heart.


S: What inspires you when writing a song?

D: It's hard to say because inspiration pops up when you least expect it. I have actually thought up songs in dreams that I finish when I wake up. One time I had written a song from a phrase that someone wrote on a  bathroom stall.

S:What song is that and what was the phrase?

D: "Brown Eyes" and the phrase is "Brown Eyes Couldn't Stop Me From Loving You"


                   (Brown Eyes Video/  Music By Delvis /Lyrics By Delvis...and the bathroom stall)


S: I had no idea that is where that song came from, see I learned something new about you tonight!


S: Do you have any advice for singer/songwriters who are just starting out?

D: A good way to practice would be to sing at karaokes, and then start  performing at local open mics, because that is where you can start making connections with other musicians or people who book gigs. Singing in the subway can also be a confidence booster, if you can do that you can do anything...just be prepared for how hot/cold it can get in there!

S: Do you like being interviewed by your girlfriend?

D: Of course, any time spent with you is worthwhile.....even during the times when you yell at me for not doing the dishes ;)

S: Awwwwww thank you, you are so sweet....and yes you should wash your dishes after you used them ;)

S: Any last Comments you would like to share?

D: Here is a quote I wrote "If you don't stick your foot out, you ain't gonna trip anybody"

and on that note .....Delvis has just left the building......well the living room ;)



Delvis CD Release Party: Friday August 6, 2010 at the Pickled Onion in Beverly w/ the Rockin Band "The Willows"!
You can check out Delvis's
music at www.myspace.com/delvisrocks
and on Facebook: DELVIS
delvisbooking@gmail.com 

(photos and video by Sarah)

3 comments: