I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

What I am Loving Right Now /aka/ My Quest For Minimalism

I am always striving to become a minimalist, I just think life would be easier with less stuff! It hasn't been an easy journey for me, and I am not "quite" there yet, but in the past few years I have donated numerous bags of clothes to local homeless shelters, I have had three yard sales, I have given stuff away, I have sold a few items, I have had stuff on Craig's List, and I even have an appointment coming up at "Modern Millie" (103 Washington Street Salem, Ma 01970 #978-745-0231) in Salem to try to consigned some of my shoes and clothes for the first time (so excited about that). So as I am parting ways with some of my stuff it also makes me think about what I will not part with ,and what is some of the stuff of mine do I love right now (that I can share with you!) I love getting recommendations from people about their faves, so here are some of mine..that I will not be parting with ;)



Tempur-Pedic Pillow: Or "Tempy" as I so lovingly referred to it. I LOVE my Tempur-Pedic pillow so much I even travel with it. I seriously cannot sleep with out it. Anyone who knows me knows that I struggle with sleep, but Tempy has made a huge difference in my sleep life, I sleep better with it! I love my Tempur-Pedic bed as well, but I would part with the bed over the pillow if I had a choice...but hopefully I will never have to make that one ;)




My stationary bike, along with my ipod, and my borrowed Bose Headphones (thank you Dad :) ) : For my fellow "hipsters" you will understand how during recovery from surgery how out of shape you start feeling, because of the resting/ pain/ and recovery time. I miss working out so much (just the stress relief you get from it alone),  so having this bike in my house helps my mental and physical well being. I can't do my bike without my ipod...I LOVE music..it keeps me moving! Currently I am going through and old school Cyndi Lauper phase. Seriously how can you not love "True Colors"!  The Bose headphones drowns out everything else,so I am at one with the bike and my music. Also when I am belting out songs while I am riding I don't have to hear myself sing ;) Seriously these headphones rock....literally!! In my opinion best headphones around....clear music, no outside noise, and they feel so cozy and comfortable on your ears :)



My Fave "Beauties"!


Lancome Hypnose Mascara/ Lancome Oscillation Powerbooster: Ok this double duo actually makes you look like you have fake lashes..If you want big thick lashes and don't have them naturally these are the product to use!

gloMinerals (liquid foundation): When my friend/make-up artist Manda use this on me for my birthday, I couldn't believe how amazing my skin looked (seriously flawless), and it reflects flawless skin in photos too! It is only $35 and it has lasted me a year... I LOVE THIS STUFF! Plus you don't feel like you are wearing make up! I purchased my gloMinerals at Rouge Cosmetics in Salem MA (322 Derby St  # 978-740-1044) http://www.rouge.com/brands/gloMinerals.html



Wunder Budder Lip Balm: I have a blog post already dedicated to this product line (see "Made With Love"), but I do need to reiterate how much I love my WB lip balms! I just got the Chai Lip balm for my sister and I. So good! Not an overwhelming scent at all, but a hint of chai (yummy) and my lips never get chapped.  It is perfect to put on before lipstick or lip gloss! You can check out all the different products at http://www.wunderbudder.com/

GHD Iron: I love my hair iron! I have owned a lot of hair irons in the past, but this one is by far my favorite!  Straight hair or curly hair this is the iron for you! It keeps my locks either straight as a pin, or if I want the tousled curly look it can do that too (it may just take a few practice rounds to get it done right ;) ) I have had mine for two years, and it still works as good as new!
***Also a bonus hair tip! I have been doing Keratin treatments (both the 30 day one and the 3 months one) and it has made a huge difference on how manageable my hair is! No frizz, easier to style, makes hair shinier...best hair treatment I have ever done for myself.  My hair has never looked better or felt healthier.  Also makes color shinier and last longer! I get my Keratin Treatments at Karen Sutton Hair Studio (26 Hawkes Street in Marblehead #781-631-7603)


Cloud: This teddy bear has been through all of my 6 surgeries with me, (during my appendix surgery my surgeon even gave Cloud a wrist band and bandages which made me LMAO when I woke up). Cloud was right by my side with me 24/7 during all my most difficult times....I know i am 35, but I ain't ever parting with my teddy ;) You are never to old to have a teddy bear (especially when you are stuck in a hospital).



My Guitar: Well it's far from an amazing guitar..it's a pretty low-end acoustic Takamine guitar (was priced at $350 at Guitar Center when I bought it 5 years ago), but I bought with the intention to finally learn how to play, and that is what I have been trying to do with it since. I liked the sound it made, it had a rich warm tone and I picked it out all by myself (nothing more embarrassing then picking out a guitar when you don't know how to play it, and having the salesman tell me to play some chords to see if I liked the sound.... ;) ) I started lessons when I was in 5th grade and stopped before I was in 6th, I got distracted by my dance lessons (back then they were more fun to practice). Since I bought the guitar I have been taking lessons off and on as well as trying to pick up tips from my "musical friends". One day I hope to at least hit one open mic night and play one song, and then mission accomplished!



My Hat (from Salem): I bought it from a street vendor in SALEM during Halloween time (such an awesome time in Salem...well unless your trying to drive through the center of the city ;) ) My friends Nancy and  Nicole and I walked by this vendor while we were strolling the Salem haunted scene, and I fell for this hat the moment I saw it. I talked myself out of buying it and we walked away.....15 minutes later I convinced my girls to go back with me to buy that hat! Nineteen dollars and two years of wearing it (and still going strong)...was totally worth walking back for! Hats are awesome! The best invention for a bad hair day/ and or a rainy day!

Ok there is a lot more "stuff" I haven't added to this particular list that I love and will not part with, but it doesn't mean that each day I don't strive closer and closer to reaching my potential as a minimalist!

1 comment:

  1. Get custom earphones! I got mine at http://www.CustomEarphones.com Any ENT can put the goo in your ears and make molds that you can send to them and, let me tell you, those are the BEST EARPHONES! The ones that go deep into the ear canal. Talk about not hearing any outside noise and you dont need to play the music over volume setting 2 because the sound is practically right up against the eardrum! Perfect reproduction! I am listening to "Wishing (I had a photograph)" The LONG 10 minute dance version from the 1980's right now with them in my ears. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete