I am a 36 year old woman who may not live in "The Big City" but I like the little city I live in and there is a lot that goes on around here too! This is a place where anything can happen..or be written about!!!!

Thursday, June 24, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things....

 Sometimes I  like to discuss w/ my friends and family about what our top tens are or our favorite things...not sure why, but I seem to have this conversation a lot..so here are some of mine..what are yours..I always love good recommendations! :)

MOVIES:
1.Shawshank Redemption -Favorite Movie of all time and probably will always be!
2. Thelma and Louise-Loved this movie..fell in Love w/ Brad Pitt in it and made me want to drive across the country..not to cause fear in men all over the USA..but the scenery...I did the trip twice now (so much fun NF and JA :) )
3.Memento-Coolest Movie Ever
4. Lord of the Rings Trilogy-Never thought I would even like these movies..then found myself watching them many times..even a full day/night marathon of the three movies extended version back to back..truly geeked out for that..and loved it!
5.Dirty Dancing-Loved this movie...Fell in Love w/ Patrick Swayze..and wanted to be lifted up just like baby...
6.Goonies-The one movie I wish I could have been in..favorite movie growing up
7.Karate Kid- there is nothing better the the flamingo kick..when I saw this at the movie everyone got up in cheered..the only time that has ever happen to me in
                                   the movie theather till this day
                            
8.Shawn of the Dead- To me the Funniest Movie Ever! Simon Pegg is Brilliant!
9.The Hangover-LMAO..and it was clever too...I would probably put Wedding Crashers w/ this Movie as a tie.
10.Slumdog Millionaire-Nothing like a movie that makes you leave the theater smiling..plus I love the soundtrack!

OK other Movies I absolutely Love and can not leave out: Amelie, Monsoon Wedding, Once (and the Once soundtrack..omg I could listen to that CD all day),Good Will Hunting, Food Inc (just a powerful movie on many different levels and one I think everyone should must see), The Last Unicorn (it's a cartoon but one of my all time favorites growing up)

Guilty pleasure: Twilight series..there I said it ;)


FAVORITE SONG: "I Will"  / The Beatles (this song I could listen to forever..My dad use to sing this to me every night when I was a kid to help me to go to sleep). It is so beautiful and simple all at the same time...No lie this song can bring a tear to my eye that is how powerful a song this is.   My other favorite song in "Satellite" / Dave Matthews Band (at this point I am actually burnt out on this song since I have listened to it over a million times, but it is an important song for me...and I was always stand by it as being one of the greatest songs...enough said)

BOOKS : The History of Love By, Nicole Krauss..I just "love" this book. poetic story telling at its's best ..read it in one day.  Eat Pray Love By Elizabeth Gilbert (Most inspirational book..I think I have read it about 5 times) and  A Separate Piece By, John Knowles ..My favorite book that I had to read when I was younger for school...Phineas could be one of my favorite characters of all times!


Top Ten TV Shows:
1. LOST..My favorite show...ever! The only show I could never miss live.
2.True Blood..Hot men...Vampires..The South..Mystery..seriously Hot Men..there is nothing not to love about this show. (The book series is a really fun guilty pleasure as well)
3.Dexter- Amazing Acting...and each season gets better and better (that sure doesn't happen that often w/ TV)..Season 4 blew my mind!
4.Six Feet Under-One of the Best shows ever made..acting and storytelling was perfect!
5.Sex in the City- I love Sarah J....started w/ her movie "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" and she kept on getting better.. it was my favorite series finale of all times!
6.Always Sunny In Philadelphia - I love this show..can't say why..but Charlie Day could be the funniest guy ever!
7.Sopranos - It was a great show...The End
8.GLEE- It just makes me feel good and I love the darkness of it as well..this show had an amazing first season! (and I will admit the CD's from the show can make heavy rotation in my ipod at times ;) )
9.Curb Your Enthusiasm/ Seinfeld- Larry David is the Man! I have almost fell off my couch laughing so hard from curb..not many shows can do that.
10.Chuck- Something about this show I love...it's just fun to watch....It could also be the actor that plays Chuck ;)


Ok I also fell in love w/ the BBC show "Couplings"..seriously that show made me laugh out loud (especially the first few seasons)...its a must see (thanks for letting me borrow it MT)! I am currently watching "WEEDS" on netflixs... the show is totally addicting ;) It could make it to my Top 10 list by the time I am done w/ it.  I also thought "The Shield" was one of the best Drama's on TV ever...again amazing acting and storytelling..A show where you hate and love the characters at the same time..Guest Stints by Glenn Close and Forest Whitaker were outstanding!

 FAVORITE THINGS TO DO IN MY CITY OF SALEM ;)!!!!

 Halloween...No other city in the world does it like my city !!!!!!( Last Year I was Sookie from True Blood (see pic on right))
Outdoor Restaurants:
Finz: Has great and scenic  outdoor seating and yummy food...and drinks:). Victoria Station: Has my favorite Salad Bar, and I love sitting outside and watching the people walk by while looking at the harbor and drinking a Bloody Mary, (pic below on left of Jaxson in Action w/ a Bloody Mary at Victoria Station)
Lobster Shanty: Fun place to watch local musicians and great location for people watching (pic below on right of me at the lobster shanty..chillaxin to a performance by Lee Harvey)
Front Street Cafe: Great place to chillax and have a delicious coffee, food, people watch and gather w/ friends inside or outside.


                                                                                   

 Listen to Live Local Music!   
So many talented live local musicians play out in this city..you are almost always guaranteed to hear music somewhere every day of the week                     

                                           (KK, Nicole, and I Lobster Shanty 2009 Delvis show)


Hang Out Downtown, People Watch and Walk Around:...always so much going on...and this city is growing w/ people, restaurants, and stores, constantly.  It is a different city than it was 5 years ago..extremely different. We like change around here :)

SALEM WILLOWS: From the Salem Willow's Website :

"Fun and Games: Historic 1866 carousel. Modern video arcade.  Kiddie rides and classic Skeeball.  Prizes and treasures.  Vintage pinball machines.
Good Food:  Salt water taffy.  “The best popcorn in New England”.  The Willow’s famous chop suey sandwich.  Pizza, fresh seafood, and homemade ice cream. (My mom's favorite summer treat is the Salem Willows chop suey...and ice cream. My siblings and I when we were kids were all about the taffy and the popcorn)
Great Park:  Picnic in the shade of majestic, 200 year old white willows.  Play on the beach.  Fish from the public pier.  Enjoy outdoor concerts.
Real History:  America’s first ice cream cone.  Joseph Brown’s flying horses.  Duke Ellington.  A public park since 1858.  A special place in history."
(My Mom and I at Salem Willows 2009)

I have been going here since I was a little kid, whether it's to play arcade games (I am a master skeeball player as well as Air Hockey Champion) Take pics in the photo booth (JL and my photo booth pic on right..year unknown ;)), walk on the pier, have a picnic, get an icecream cone after a long hot day, take a stroll, look out at the ocean, or listen to music (WITCHSTOCK MUSIC FESTIVAL , SALEM WILLOWS JULY 3rd  at 4pm).







 Being at Home.... Dorothy said it best "There is No Place Like Home"






                                                                                            
                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment